Tech4Good@SKC received a grant in Fall 2017 to facilitate the development of the Flathead Watershed Transcending Barriers: Connecting Indigenous and Western Knowledge Consortium.
The National Center for Science and Civic Engagement (NCSCE) has launched a new initiative, funded by the Keck Foundation, to advance durable and equitable collaborations between indigenous communities and local educational organizations. The goal of this project is to provide engaging, inquiry-based learning opportunities around environmental and health challenges of immediate relevance and interest to indigenous youth and their communities, while transcending perceived conflicts between “traditional” and “western” knowledge.
- Northern Arizona University
- Humboldt State University
- California State University – Channel Islands
- and us, at the headwaters of the Columbia River Basin, in the Flathead Watershed.
with continued game design partners Native Teaching Aids and in partnership with:
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes Department of Natural Resources
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes Department of Cultural Preservation
- The University of Montana SpectrUM Discovery Center
- The University of Montana Broader Impacts Group
- The University of Montana Flathead Lake Biological Station
- The Watershed Education Network
to work with area 8-12th graders and college students to address the community challenge, “Water is Life…”. Through game jams, mentorships, field trips, workshops, and a summer camp for native youth, we will use art, technology, games, and design to collaborate on solving meaningful water-related community challenges.
These explorations will inform a variety of course in Fish and Wildlife, Media Design, and other courses at the college with the intention of creating civic engagement opportunities for students.
Further Reading: some great links offered by Bob Franco, partner-leader from Kapiolani College in Hawai’i
Big Questions https://teachingtobigquestions.wordpress.com/
Civic Action Campus Compact https://compact.org/actionstatement/statement/
UH Sustainability policy https://www.hawaii.edu/sustainability/commitment/executive-policy/
KCC Sustainability Climate Action Plan http://ofie.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/KapCC_Sustain_Climate_Plan_050217.pdf
UN Sustainability Development Goals https://www.nwei.org/nweis-commitment-united-nations-sustainable-development-goals/?gclid=EAIaIQob
KCC- Sustainability Development Goals and Service-Learning Pathways
ACCESS Engagement University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa and MINA http://servicelearning.socialsciences.hawaii.edu
Film: SENCER Hawaiʻi